Thursday, January 14, 2010

An Opera for the Ages

It's been over a week now since I saw my first professional opera, The Tsar's Bride, and I still cannot get over its magnificence. Freeze frame: 5:00 PM ( 17:00, if you will), 1/6/10. I am jet-lagged, culture-shocked and many other hyphenated adjectives. I do not feel up to the daunting task of enduring a four hour Russian opera. There are four long acts, and three intermissions that will hopefully keep me alive. I could barely keep my head up during our first play. The pressure is on.

The opera was performed at the Bolshoi, albeit not the original theatre due to the latter undergoing reparations. The theatre emanated an aura that tells you the production had better be good, or else. We took our seats, and the orchestra began the lengthy, but beautiful overture.

What struck me first was the ornately designed set, which changed at the end of each act. Each design represented different aspects of 16th century Muscovite Russia, including the homes of the Boyars, a street in Moscow and the Tsar's palace. The palace reminded us of the grandeur that surrounded the pre-Petrine era, whilst the street depicted a more middle class area with palisade walls adorning the backdrop. The costumes of the Boyars complimented the times, as robes made of finely spun cloth draped down to the floor, embellised with precious gems.

In terms of pacing, my fears of boredom were instantaneously washed away during the first piece, sung by the tragic hero Grigory Gryaznoi. Although the production did not move quickly by any means, the comfortable pace allowed each soloist to fully display their vocal capacities. Also, their emotions developed and even changed as their solos progressed, specifically Gryaznoi's transition from merriment to frustration and then eventually madness. His character development starts at the first line of the show, and ends with him being dragged away to his execution. The emotions of his neglected lover, Lyubasha, range from grief to murderous revenge. The spectrum widens as the production rolls on, giving the audience new perspectives with the conclusion of each act.

When people ask me what genres of music I enjoy, I typically respond "anything but country and opera." Now, country stands alone beacause the Tsar's Bride turned me on to something I would probably cover my ears to as a child. The combined forces of quality acting, tireless vocal work, a wonderfully tight orchestra and a beautiful set make the Tsar's Bride a recommendation for experienced opera goers or those who need to be christened the right way. Enjoy it; I certainly did.

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating! I adore rimsky-Korsakov's operas, sadly little known in the West. I would recommend trying one of his folk-tale or legendary fairytale operas. They are beautiful and magical.

    Incidently, it was through Russian opera and ballet that the revolution in set design took place. When Diaghilev presented Russian works in Paris around 1910, it created a sensation. Before then, most theatrical design was pretty conservative. The Russians changed all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note: the Rimsky-Korsakov opera "Sadko" is in the schedule for next week in St. Petersburge -- at the Mariinsky Theater, no less!

    ReplyDelete